Wound up heading back and cut all of these out! Yay me!
It’s been a while since I felt accomplished with my projects – I actually feel like I got a lot done this afternoon! First of all I got these very pretty charm packs in the mail today, I love when the mail man delivers presents! I got them cheap, and I think I’m going to put them in my future ottoman reupholstering project I’ve been daydreaming about. The fabric is Gypsy by Felicity Miller, and I really like it a lot.
The big news though is that I finally finished assembling my 9 patches for my disappearing nine patch. I haven’t pressed them or anything yet, I really didn’t feel like it. I also sewed ten units for my next class project, which is going to be a pinwheel quilt. So yeah! Sewing! I do it!
I also made another one of those Stitch and Slash blocks, they are really fun!
Playing around with Carol Ann Waugh‘s Stitch and Slash technique, I started this little block this morning on a whim. I didn’t really give too much of a thought to the fabric choices, but I definitely think its an interesting idea that I want to explore more.
Last night I was pretty determined to get some sewing in after having a couple of weeks doing absolutely nothing. This is a project for my quilting class, it’s a Disappearing 9 Patch, in Lucy’s Crab Shack. I managed to get all the rows sewn for my 9 patches, and 3 of them assembled. This round, in an attempt to get better at matching points, I pressed all the seams open ( I generally press to the dark ). As you can see, I’m still not hitting them exactly, which is pretty disappointing – I pinned these too!
Also – I made another two dozen HSTs for my back door curtain project, and tidied the studio up a bit – but just a bit. I still haven’t put my Sparkle Punch project back up on the design wall ( it fell because of the humidity when the lights were out for so long I think) , and I’m scared to move any of the pieces because it will just be harder to find the order and placement of all the units if I do. So its still in a sad pile on the floor for the moment, maybe I’ll take care of that this evening, I know its going to take forever – but its got to be done sometime. Barring natural disasters or family tragedy or work emergency or plague of locusts – I really want to wrap that one up this weekend.
So its a week later. I’m still overwhelmed by work, and my studio still looks like a hurricane plowed through it. It’s probably because of the workload, but I can’t seem to get myself behind the sewing machine. Yesterday I did press some HST’s open that were sitting on my sewing table, but that is really it.
Above is today’s fabric haul – Riley Blake, Songbird. It’s some more fabric for my quilting class, but its like two projects away – who knows when I will get around to it. It’s pretty though.
( This is only a few miles from my house – however other than the AC, we had no damage )
So it’s been a week, and I’m finally getting back to normal from Hurricane Isaac. The power was out for 4 days, and then when it came back on, we quickly realized that the AC did not. So from Friday through yesterday, I basically holed up in my bedroom, huddled up to my portable AC. August in Louisiana slows everything down; the humidity makes you feel like you are moving in slow motion.
The Lug’s cousin really stepped in and saved the day and helped us replace the condenser outside, for a reasonable price to boot. So finally I’m back in front of my laptop, starting a normal workday. Maybe I’ll even get some sewing done this evening – but I’ll probably be cleaning house.